learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, April 14, 2011

37 Weeks 2 Days


Brandon's coworkers threw him a baby shower this week, which I thought was awfully cool and sweet. You don't hear about many dads getting their own baby shower, and I think that's a shame. Why the heck not, I say? We mainly received diapers, but there's no bad there. :)

In addition to cake, crudites and diaper unwrapping, they are also taking him out for happy hour on Friday night. And that's where my jealousy kicks in just a tiny bit, because an ice cold beer has been sounding better and better lately.

Though maybe not today. We woke to an inch of snow on the ground and it's still coming down with gusto. Welcome to springtime in Colorado. Luckily, I don't think it's too cold; I fear the years when a sudden cold snap nips all the buds on the trees and bushes that are trying to bloom.

My Strep B test came back today and is negative, which is awesome. If it had been positive, they would have wanted to treat me with antibiotics during labor, and because I'm allergic to penicillin, they would have given me the really STRONG stuff, which means both baby and I would probably have a dose of all the fun side effects that come along with strong antibiotics (I leave those to your imagination). So very glad that is not something we have to consider.

Confirmed with Brandon's parents that they will come out for a couple of days when the baby is born, and then my saintly mother-in-law has agreed to come back a week or so later to help out in my second week of momdom. My folks will be here for the first week, then Zana for the second week, and then I know I have friends I can call on if I need help in weeks three and four. (Our doula made it plain that I should plan for help I can call on for at least that long.)

Brandon has told his work people that he will be taking off at least one full week. Depending on how things are going, he plans to go in for shortened days the second week, just to make sure nothing explodes at the office (and considering he's a scientist, that's actually a concern!).

Tomorrow is my last day of work before maternity leave. I'm pleased to have negotiated a freelance gig with the magazine starting back up in August, so that's exciting. We had planned (financially speaking) to be OK even if I didn't work at all, but having a little money coming in will certainly be helpful. And I have a friend with whom I've started discussing sharing babysitting duties once a week or possibly sharing a nanny. We shall see.

And Baby Bean's birthday boyfriend, Tahl Lund, was born on Tuesday to very happy parents and a great big brother. Congrats Lunds!

The little ticker on the blog says 19 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment