learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, April 11, 2011

36 weeks OH AND!

I can't believe I forgot to tell this story. At my doctor's appointment on Friday, I mentioned that I'd been having this weird thing with my leg.

If I stand on my left leg and have to pick up my right leg for anything bigger than a normal step (say, to put on pants, get into bed, etc.) I get this strange sensation that someone's twanging a guitar string on the front right side of my calf, just below my knee. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes it tingles and goes kind of numb. It frequently causes me to feel the need to rub that spot vigorously, even though that probably does absolutely nothing productive.

The nurse practitioner said, "Huh. Could be a blood clot."

That phrase is pretty high on my list of "things I don't want to hear a doctor say," but OK.

She went on to explain that because the area isn't red, or hot, and doesn't have any visible signs of distress, and because it's below my knee, that it probably wasn't anything to worry about, but she wanted to order an ultrasound.

Right then.

So after my checkup, I went downstairs and walked to the adjacent hospital and got all checked in to medical imaging. They gave me a patient ID bracelet and everything. And they kept asking me if I wanted a wheelchair to go 50 feet or so. I declined.

And even though everything was probably fine, and ultrasounds are probably the least scary medical procedure of all, it was still a little unnerving to find that they've worked you in to look at you RIGHT NOW.

Anyway, the tech scanned my entire vein from my groin to my ankle on the inside of my leg. And that didn't make a ton of sense to me since the pain was on the outside of my leg, but I, admittedly, never took A & P. But when he said he was finished, I casually said, "Even though the pain is over here? I mean, I'm sure you know what you're doing..." And he was very nice about it and scanned that bit too.

And then, by the time we got back to the waiting room, my doctor was on the phone for me and told me everything was fine and to buy some support hose.

So, I had more ultrasound gel on me that day than anyone should ever have and nothing came of it. But that is fine by me if it means my doctors will keep scary phrases like "blood clot" out of their vocabulary when talking about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment