learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, April 2, 2012

Changing Perspective

It continues to amaze me how being a mom has changed my perception of just about everything from art to news items to pop culture.

Just as an example:

  • When I saw Les Miserables again with family at New Year's, I was surprised to be most moved by Fantine's story, of a mother just trying to do anything to ensure her child's survival—when before (as a heartsick young teenager), Eponine was always the character that moved me the most.
  • Right after Devyn was born, I could not watch the news on TV, because they were talking all about the horrific plight of people, and specifically children, starving in Africa.  I could not watch because I ended up sobbing and clutching Devyn to me.
  • I saw The Hunger Games this weekend at the movies.  I read the book before I was pregnant, before Devyn was born, and while they were certainly not HAPPY books, they didn't really disturb me.  I found myself having to pinch myself hard in the movie theater not to dissolve into tears when the youngest of the "tributes" met their ends.
And today, I found out that a girl I went to high school with has been arrested in a horrifying child abuse case that ended in the death of the child.  I'm so viscerally appalled by this, I can barely put words to it.  

And I have no doubt that the twisting, agonized gut reaction I'm having to the story has a great deal to do with the beautiful baby girl playing nearby.

I've always been an empathetic person, but it appears Devyn has multiplied my empathy for mothers and children a thousandfold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment