learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, April 23, 2012

1 Year Old

Dearest Devyn,

Happy birthday, my sweet one!  What an exciting time for all of us! I can't believe you are already a year old.  It has passed in the blink of an eye.

You know, I make my living finding the right words for things, and so I can tell you with some authority that there are no words to describe how much I love you.  "Love" just doesn't seem big enough for this feeling I have when I look at you, my baby.

This is just the first of all the birthdays we have ahead of us to celebrate, and I hope each and every one is happier than the last.  I know that, in 12 or 15 years' time, you and I will have a very different relationship—and that's OK, that's the way it's supposed to be; but I hope that you will keep these letters somewhere near you always, and if ever we are at odds, not seeing things eye-to-eye, please come back to these words and be reminded of where we started, and where we will always be in our hearts.

You are beloved, my sweet child, more than you will ever, ever know.  I love you with every single particle of my being more than I knew it was possible to love.  Your daddy and I could not be any happier with you, with everything you are, everything you are not, everything you may be and everything you will never be.  I know it may be hard to remember sometimes, but you will never be anything less than perfect in our eyes.

I love you when you are sweet and bubbly.  I love you when you are screaming and angry.  And I love you every moment in between.

That awe I felt in the first moments I saw you, the first days we got to know you, has not diminished.  You are beautiful, brilliant, strong-willed, curious, brave, and friendly.  You are everything I ever wanted in a daughter, and everything I never knew I wanted.

It was so wonderful to be able to celebrate you this weekend with all of your grandparents and our friends.  Although I know you won't remember this birthday, sweet one, I always will.

Happy, happy birthday to the greatest gift we've ever gotten.

I love you always, my sweet baby.
~Mommy






























No comments:

Post a Comment