learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, July 8, 2011

11 weeks: Astro-Symmetry

Dear Devyn,

When I was about a month old, in April of 1981, the space shuttle took it's very first flight. Today, 30 years and 134 flights later when you are almost three months old, the space shuttle launched for its very last flight.

There is something poetic about that kind of symmetry. My only hope is that we see some new kind of manned space flight early in your lifetime, so that you can be inspired the way I was inspired. I'm the only kid I know who was reading Carl Sagan at the age of 12 just for fun, or who was practically giddy to get to the astrophysics unit in her physics class in high school. If I'd been better able to do the math, who knows; I might have been an astronomer or an astrophysicist.

We listened to the space shuttle launch together this morning on the radio, and although I know you won't remember it, it will be a special memory for me.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment