learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two Months Old





Dear Devyn,

I can't believe how much you've grown and changed in just two months—you weighed 9 pounds 4.5 ounces yesterday, up from 6 pounds, 6 ounces when you were born. I have these crazy moments when I try to remember that you were inside me, which is just insane. And I have other moments when I think I'm catching a glimpse of the person you are and are becoming. It's incredible to look backwards and forwards at both simultaneously.

I feel like I'm getting to know you more all the time, and that you are getting to know yourself, with distinct likes and dislikes. You like to listen to music with me, and kick your legs happily when I sing along to you. One of your favorites is "Mr. Sun," by Raffi. You love to play with your daddy when he makes funny faces at you. You love to be held upright so you can look around at the world. You like to lie on your play mat and smile at the toys and the bright colors. You still don't like to have your clothes changed, you don't like to ride in your car seat, and you get grumpy when it's time to go to sleep; I think it's because you don't want to fall asleep and miss anything.

Everyone comments on how alert and engaged you are, even strangers. And everyone—even strangers—comments on how beautiful you are.

Your smile is just about the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Sometimes, when I come to pick you up out of your crib, you grin at me with the biggest, goofiest toothless grin and I just have to laugh. It's a thing of pure joy. Last week, you grabbed and held onto a rattle for the first time, and actually seemed to enjoy swinging it around. Your Aunt Em suggested that we put a toy on your car seat for you to look at, and I think it really helps when we have to drive somewhere. I'm really very excited for you to start really engaging with your toys.

We had a couple of hard days when I got very frustrated, but I was never frustrated with you, only with myself because I felt like I didn't know what to do for you. But that, too, has passed, and we've settled into a pretty good routine. Part of the problem seems to be that your naps have changed from an hour and a half long to only 45 minutes long, and I was fighting it. But now that I'm going with the flow, I think we're doing better.

You sleep in your crib in your own room every night. I felt a little pang in my heart when we moved the pack and play out of our bedroom—that you were already growing up and becoming more independent, even at this tiny age. But that's exactly as it should be. You're sleeping anywhere from four to six hours at a go every night now, which is doing wonders for your parents' sanity, so thanks for that. In fact, one night this week you slept for nearly eight hours! And, you're taking almost all your naps in your crib as well. Definite progress.

Your daddy gives you a bottle every night, and I know he likes being able to help out and spend time with you. He gets better and better at putting you to sleep every day (in his defense, he doesn't have NEARLY as much opportunity to practice as I do!). Last weekend he went to his first appointment to get an old tattoo removed, and I think it shows that he loves us very, very much. (It's really gross looking; I'm thinking of taking a picture of it to show to you should you want to get a tattoo before you're 30 or so.)

Your great-grandmother Alma passed away this month. She was your Grandma Zana's stepmother, and daddy's grandmother, and I'm sure she would have adored you. Maybe one day you will get to visit her house in Florida and ask your Grandma Zana to tell you all about her.

We love you more and more every day. You continue to amaze and astound us, and I know you will keep it up just about forever!!

In the wider world this month, the largest wildfire in Arizona's history is still burning, and the smoke reached all the way to Denver; Denver elected a new mayor, Michael Hancock; the Dallas Mavericks won their first NBA title; and President Obama went to visit Puerto Rico, the first sitting president to do so since JFK, and his wife and daughters got to meet Nelson Mandela.

Love you always, sweet girl,
~your mommy

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh the mommy love you feel is simply like nothing else, eh? Love to read your posts -

    ReplyDelete