learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Developmentally Appropriate Toys

Love this column from the author of "Free Range Kids" about toys.

I'm really drawn to toys by the company Sassy and I've bought at least one and registered for a couple more, but they are definitely culpable in this trend of making everything "educational" and developmentally appropriate.

And I have bought into it! I bought this lookbook just the other day:



It has bold black and white patterns on each soft page, with a plastic sleeve that you can also put a photo into. And I bought it because I had just read how really young babies (before 3 months) see bold black and white patterns best, and slightly older babies (around 3 months) love looking at faces.

This isn't maybe as bad as the Baby Neptune video mentioned in the article, but I do feel a little bit silly buying toys like that. At least it doesn't blink or vibrate or sing! Oh well. I have registered for a gorgeous set of wooden alphabet blocks that will maybe make up for my lapse. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment