learning to be a mom one twist at a time

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, January 20, 2011

No Sleep at 25 Weeks

I have not been sleeping well. All the books and advice told me not to sleep on my back after 20 weeks, and I thought, “No problem. I prefer to sleep on my side anyway.”


Yeah. Well. That was before my hips decided that they wanted to hurt like crazy every night after sleeping on my side.


First trimester it was my lower back, and sleeping with a pillow between my knees did a lot to alleviate that. But now it’s my hips. Not the joints exactly, but like the deep muscles where I’m lying on them.

So I go to bed around 8:30 or 9pm and a fall asleep right away and sleep for about four hours. Then I wake up at around 1am and my hip hurts. I get up and use the bathroom and then go back to bed. I was lying on my back a bit before rolling over to the other side to give my hips a rest, but I’m paranoid about it, and I don’t want to fall asleep that way.


I might manage to get back to sleep for another two hours. I wake up at 3am in real pain, and now it’s on both sides, so I can’t just switch. My latest idea is to prop myself up with forty-billion pillows and try to sleep sitting up from this point on. I’ve discovered that if I doze sitting up for half an hour to an hour, I can then lie back down on my side and sleep again. So, between 3am and 5:45am when my husband’s alarm goes off, I might get another hour or so of quality sleep. Maybe. If I’m lucky.


I’m in bed for around nine hours, but only averaging about six hours of sleep. The worst part is that I wake up achy and tired and not at all interested in doing yoga or any other kind of working out.


Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment